Ever since we launched 1Sheeld, people have been constantly asking us for an iOS version that would enable hobbyists and enthusiasts to turn all their wacky ideas to reality whether using Android or iOS, and we’ve been promising people that we would release something.
One thing about us is that we always keep our promise. That’s why, after long hours of hard work and extensive testing we asked the engineers at our super secret labs in China to put 1Sheeld+ into production, and here we put it in comparison with 1Sheeld to see if it is worth an upgrade.
It is definitely worth it.
1Sheeld vs. 1Sheeld+:
– We changed the Bluetooth module to HM-10 (BLE 4.0) instead of HC-06 (Bluetooth 2.0) which seems to be some fancy letters next to a number to me, but it is actually one of the latest in Bluetooth technology; BLE 4.0 uses less power and is supported by most of the latest smartphones nowadays.
– The reset and serial switches are now on the side instead of being on top, so you could use them even if there shields on top of it (We highly doubt you would need any other shield)
– 1Sheeld+ IS COMPATIBLE WITH IOS DEVICES!! (Starting iOS 9.0 and above) which is what everyone has been asking for.
– 1Sheeld+ is compatible with Android devices starting 4.3 and above unlike the first gen 1Sheeld which was compatible with almost every Android device, so that’s an advantage for the first gen I guess.
Not much has changed concerning these three points.
– They both operate at 7.37MHz
– They are both compatible with 3.3 and 5.0v boards
– The range is up to 30ft for both. Nothing to see here, keep scrolling.
This could be the least significant change for someone interested in building their own projects, but normally this is the first change anyone would notice, 1Sheeld+ is Blue, instead of Black, which is the color of the sky and the sea, the color that signifies serenity and the color that may keep you calm instead of cursing your buggy projects.
Finally, 1Sheeld+ has solved many of the problems that faced people in 1Sheeld as well as the added iOS compatibility feature, so it is definitely worth an upgrade unless you want to hold dearly to your old Android phone in that case, you’d better stick to 1Sheeld.
I wonder what the secret China labs will bring us next, I am certain that we could expect something really, really soon!