About the competition
Welcome to the second edition of Egypt Arduino Makers Competition powered by Intel Egypt!
We launched the first competition in September 2014, and we want to encourage making projects with Arduino and smart phones using 1Sheeld.
If you have an innovative idea in the field of robotics, home automation, quadcopters, industrial control, or anything that can be implemented using Arduino boards especially if your idea can solve a problem from those we suffer from nowadays, then make sure to apply and show the world the power of Egyptian makers!
1Sheeld turns your smart phone capabilities into a generic Arduino shield, you can sense the environment and grab the data with the sensor shields, trigger the Arduino and communicate remotely with it using the communication shields, use the smart phone touch screen and capabilities with Arduino with the special shields, and have fun on Facebook or twitter with the social media shields.
If you have the option to use GPS, Mic, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, pressure, light, temperature, proximity, and gravity sensors with Arduino what will you sense?
If you have Skype, Phone, E-mail, SMS shields what will you do?
If you have Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare connected to your Arduino, how will you use them?
If you have voice recognition, text to speech, camera, music player, LCD and clock shields, what will be your project?
Imagine you have access to all of the above with only 1Sheeld! Leverage the power of your smart phone and use the power of 1 line of code to build big things!
The challenge is to create your project, and the judging committee will decide the winner based on the highest score.
The project will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
Quality of Code (10 Points)
- Code has to be well documented, and there are enough comments to help understand the code.
Quality Packaging (10 Points)
- System has to be packaged in a nice way,
Safety (10 Points)
- Boards have to be fixed well, no sharp edges, no lossless wires, and the system has to have protection fuses in case of a high current application.
Documentation (20 Points)
- The project has to have a demonstration video of maximum 1 minute.
- Project steps must be documented on instructables.com
- Steps should include photos of assembly and the 1 minute demonstration video.
Presentation Skills (10 Points)
- Quality of slides, speaker and the presentation structure.
Egypt Challenge (5 Points)
- Team gets extra 5 points if the project solves a problem facing the Egyptian community, the categories are: (Safety, Energy, Education, Traffic, Pollution)
Team is required to give a 5 minutes presentation on the project in March 7th during Cairo mini maker faire, explaining the idea, implementation and the role of team members (if any).
- If your project wins, you will win an Intel Galileo board + a cash prize of EGP 500.
How to participate?
1. Submit your project idea in this application before February 20th 6 pm Cairo time. http://bit.ly/1sfe8UE
2. Our team will filter the ideas, and reply within 3 days after you fill the application.
3. If your idea is accepted, you will be assigned a coordinator for technical support and guidance in the documentation.
4. Work on your project and document all steps with photos and videos, our team will guide you in writing your instructable.
5. Finish your project and upload it on www.instructables.com before March 1st 6 pm Cairo time.
- Prepare the 5 minutes presentation and get ready for the competition on March 7th in Cairo mini maker faire.
Projects must use at least one of the following shields on 1Sheeld: (Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Orientation, Mic, Pressure, Light, Temperature, GPS, Magnetometer, Gravity, Proximity, Buzzer, Gamepad, Keypad, Keyboard, Phone, SMS, Email, Skype, Notifications, Camera, Music player, Clock, LCD, Foursquare, Twitter, Facebook, Voice recognition, Text to speech, Terminal, Data logger).
For more information on each shield, please visit www.1sheeld.com/shields
Frequently asked questions
1. I have a graduation project, can I apply with it?
Yes of course! Connect it to 1Sheeld and go ahead.
- Do I need to buy 1Sheeld to participate?
No, you can work on 1Sheeld at Fablab Egypt, Zone, Qafeer makerspace, or Pixels student activity for free, you just have to arrange with your coordinator.
- Can I participate with a team?
Yes, teamwork always gets better output :).
- Will you provide any Arduino training?
No, there are a lot of Arduino workshops being held at Fablab Egypt and a lot of online resources to learn from, we will assist you in 1Sheeld libraries, writing the instructable and presenting it in a well design.
- What can I build with 1Sheeld?
Sky is the limit! Anything from controlling robots to home automation applications to ROVs to quadcopters …etc. use the voice recognition to give orders to your robot, or send notifications to your smartphone on a certain action, or sense the environment around you.
- What is the prize?
The winner gets an Intel Galileo board + a cash prize of EGP 500.
- How do I submit my idea on instructables?
You can register or login on Instructables.com via Facebook or Twitter and submit your projects, make sure you document every step with all the details so your description will assist others in making your project in the future. Our team will guide you in documenting your instructable.
- In case I want to buy a 1Sheeld, where can I buy it from?
1Sheeld is available for sale at Al Amir electronics store, Fablab Egypt and Alexandria hackerspace.
- Can I apply with more than 1 project?
Yes you can! but you need to focus on their quality of writing and documenting your instructable.
For more information, contact us on facebook.com/1sheeld